The Blue Sage Gallery is a professional space for local artists to showcase their talent and with exhibits that change every four to six weeks, visitors will always find something new. The Blue Sage Gallery strives to find unique, high quality Western Slope artists to display their work. Located in the heart of downtown Paonia, and serving as the lobby for all Blue Sage events, the Blue Sage Gallery assures artists prime exposure.
The Blue Sage Gift Shop offers a wide variety of local, handmade gift items from greeting cards to jewelry. Stop in to find that perfect gift for birthdays, anniversaries or just to say thank you to someone special.
Gallery & Gift Shop Submission Guidelines
Local Artist Requirements
The purpose of the Blue Sage Gallery is to promote local artists. Artwork must be created or designed by the artist. Artwork or craft work created by someone other than the artist and out of the local area is not admissible.
- Artist must be a current member of the Blue Sage to exhibit.
- Artist must submit his exhibit proposal online for review and acceptance by the Gallery committee, for individual shows .
- Artist must submit an artist bio of 300 words or less, to be updated with each new exhibit.
Artwork Submission and Display Requirements
Acceptable mediums include:
- Two dimensional art including painting, printmaking and photography
- Three dimensional art including glass, wood, bronze, metal, ceramics, textiles, mixed media and jewelry.
- Any other medium (ex: perishables) should be discussed with staff in advance.
All art must be display ready
- Two dimensional art must be appropriately framed or intentionally unframed on stretcher bars, and be ready to hang. Hanging must be by appropriate wiring. No sawtooth hangers. Artwork requiring wall reinforcement or attachment by anything other than standard nails should be discussed with staff in advance.
- Three dimensional art requiring a pedestal or specific floor location or wall attachment should be discussed with staff in advance. Blue Sage can provide a limited number of white pedestals for display, or artist can provide their own neutral or wood colored display.
- Bin art (ex: photos or prints) must be mat backed and individually wrapped in cellophane.
- Blue Sage reserves the right to display the art in the manner and in the location best suited for the overall exhibit, to not display all artwork due to space limitations, or to remove a work from display for any reason.
All artwork must be individually labeled on the back, underside or other appropriate place (if possible) with the artists’ name, inventory number, title, and retail price.
All submissions must be accompanied by an inventory form provided by the Blue Sage, which includes artist’s name, address, phone number, email, title of work, media and brief description, and retail price.
Art must be submitted in a sealed box with a completed inventory form so that it can be counted by the gallery committee. Art gets inventoried the week of each new show and will then be put on display.
All submissions will be selected for display and sale in the Gallery based upon the following criteria:
- Craftsmanship must be of high quality materials, presentation, framing, sale-ability and artistic expression.
- Appropriateness of subject matter for general audiences.
Artists may be asked to submit digital images or pdfs in a timely manner for screening or promotional use.
- There is no fee to submit artwork to the Blue Sage Gallery, but artist must be a current member of the Blue Sage to exhibit. If artist’s membership lapses, the artist has 30 days to renew or pickup their artwork, or the items will be removed and/or donated.
- The Blue Sage charges a commission on all artwork sold. Commission to the Blue Sage is 40%, with artist receiving 60%, calculated before sales taxes.
- Artists will be paid monthly if their portion of the sales reaches $5.00 or more. Otherwise the funds will be held until their portion does reach $5.00.
Insurance is the responsibility of the artist. While Blue Sage will exercise all reasonable precautions for the protection of exhibited artwork, submission and exhibit of work automatically waives any claim for damage or loss against the Blue Sage.
Delivery and pickup of artwork in a timely manner is the responsibility of the artist. If artist is not present at the designated time to pick up artwork after an exhibit, his artwork will be removed from the Gallery and stored by the Blue Sage at the artist’s expense.
Gallery Events and Openings
This event is in progress now.12 local and regional photographers took the challenge to capture the essence of Paonia in 24 hours. High school aged student entrants to septuagenarians captured images that range from peaches to graffiti, flowers to dogs, portraits to buildings. The photographs in this collection are captivating, and a true slice of Paonia life in all its variety and splendor. New photographers and old hands are represented, each with their own particular slant through the lens of their camera. See the works they created and the 2017 winners in this group exhibition from September 24th through October 26th. Picture Paonia is a...
3:00 pm - 5:00 pmBlue Sage Curtis HallBe a part of 20 years! Come celebrate the last 20 years of fun and inspiring arts and entertainment events with the Blue Sage at its 2016 Annual Membership Meeting. In addition to viewing photographs and stories from the last 20 years, you can meet the new Executive Director, say goodbye to our outgoing ED and enjoy a delicious catered meal.Sunday the 29thOctober
- Art Gallery
- Classical Music
- Concert Series Program
- Displayed on Home Page
- Live Music
- World Music
Exhibition Proposal Form
The Blue Sage is seeking proposals for gallery exhibits for the 2017 calendar year. We host six to eight exhibits per year in the historic Blue Sage Gallery. Each exhibit is on display for four to six weeks.
Proposals may be for a solo show, group show or an open show. Two and three dimensional art will be considered. Please submit up to five digital images that showcase your work. If selected, you will be asked to provide physical examples of your work.